Friday, January 27, 2012

The Weekly Hotness: 1-27-12

There's been a lot of talk lately on the "future of comics" – It's a subject I've been giving a lot of thought, both as a fan trying to support the industry and as a creator trying to find some kind of foothold within it. Price, piracy, the direct market, etc... There's a lot of contention right now as to what's hurting comics, and what needs to be done to get past it.

But one thing I think we can all agree on is that one of the best things you can do to support comics, besides buying them, is to talk about them. So, I'm going to start talking about them. Now, let me be clear: these aren't going to be reviews. I'm all for serious comics criticism (provided someone else is doing it), but with The Weekly Hotness all I really want to do is quickly shout out whatever books are currently rocking my world. That means only comics that I like. Most of them will be creator-owned/independent publishers (Batman's awesome, but does he really need me street teaming for him?), and I'll try my best to keep up to speed though there will be weeks where I fall behind because I haven't had a chance to read anything yet.

Oh, and, spoiler-free of course.

Let's do a quick test run...


The Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred #1 (of 6)
Story By: David Hine
Art By: Shaky Kane

I keep accidentally reading that cover as "The Bullet Proof Coffin: Disinterested", which is ironic because it was the probably one of the most fascinating comics I read all month. It starts as a gruesome murder mystery and degenerates from there into a bizarre and darkly comedic superhero origin story that will leave you creeped out well after you've put it down. Each page is an explosion of capes, cops and commies; Meanwhile there's this slow, unsettling undercurrent provided by a narrator who may in fact be completely off his rocker. The result is a wonderful mix of face melting action and slow building tension. Kane's artwork is beautiful in its retro awkwardness, and it meshes so well with Hine's kooky storytelling that I often forget they aren't the same person.

BOOM! Done. You're welcome, comics industry!

P.S. What'd you read this week?

2 comments:

Brad said...

For the past months, I've been catching up on my Spider-Man comics. I started at Brand New Day and read forward from there. That's like four years of comics! Anyway, I'm almost caught up. Despite all the bad hype regarding the Spidey reboot, I've really enjoyed these comics. The writers have a solid understanding of Peter Parker and the Spidey-verse and the artwork has been top notch. I look forward to your comic non-reviews. Not only do I love reading comics, I love reading about them.

Kenny said...

Yeah, Brand New Day was great once it found its stride, and really reignited my love for Spider-Man comics. And it came out weekly! So you've got a lot of fun comic books ahead of you.